onsdag, juni 29, 2005

Midsummer in Finland

Midsummer is celebrated the weekend around the 21th of july (the longest day of the year) and it is probably the most important holiday in Scandinavian countries. Three days, from friday to sunday the time stands still. The shop in Ålidhem for example, which is open every day (even on christmas and easter) closes on midsummer. I already heard a lot about midsummer in Sweden in advance, so I planned to stay at least till this date in Umeå, but now it came even better and I went to Finland for midsummer.

I had the chance to spend these days with Leena in her mother´s summer cottage near Pori together with her sister Laura, their cousin Lauri and Laura´s boyfriend Heikki. First of all, midsummer is a lot about relaxing; eating, drinking beer, going to sauna and forgetting time. Ok, that wasn´t the only thing we did. On friday afternoon was a little celebration for Laura, who got her master degree with some of here relatives. In the night then we watched the traditional bonfires at the shores.
On saturday was a traditional charity football game, which was originated by Leena´s dad and his two brothers about 20 years ago; Niittyluoto (their family and relatives, the Furuholms) plays against Sandö (a local team). The event is quite a big thing with a lot of spectators and the money raised goes to local youth organisations. I had the great honour to play for Niittyluoto. I think we were the better team and should have won the game, but as always, if you don´t score your opponent will. At the end we lost 3-1. But it was fun anyway and I don´t think I ever played in front of a bigger crowd (ca. 800 spectators). By the way, it was the first time I played football this year, but obviously it wasn´t too bad. At least I got invited to play next year again.
On sunday we had a boat trip with Leena´s dad in the arichipelago of Pori, a really nice area with a lot of little green islands and inbetween the blue sea. But also not too warm because of the wind.

Midsummer is nice holiday and very relaxing. I think I have to celebrate this again.

Have a nice summer!

1 Comments:

At 8:39 em, Anonymous Anonym said...

3:1: first game this year - first lost. That´s no good news... Hehe!

Anyway hope u r still doin´ well in Finnland. Say hi to Leena and "Hau rein!"...

PS Bier steht bereit!

 

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home